Compatibility Mode enable you to runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. There are application and software that design to work with previous windows version such as revit, SPSS and other that you can't directly run in current windows (windows 7/8). So compatibility mode enable this program to run in current OS using the previous OS setting. Compatibility mode is Useful for both to install and to run a program.
Compatibility mode normally use for:
1. Installing old drivers into new operating system. exe: winodws vista drivers in windows 7.
2. Run old application (for xp in vista, vista in win 7, win 7 in win 8).
3. Install Old application in newer version of windows.
4. To enable options that available in previous version of windows (i.e game resolution).
5. To avoid bug, hang, freeze screen when running the application.
Change the program compatibility:
1. Right click on the drivers or application and select properties.
2. Select Compatibility tab.
3. Select "run this program in compatibility mode
for".. and select the previous Operating system available on the
drop-down menu list.
Operating System Selection:
You need to select the operating system that compatible
with the application. say that the program is design for windows vista
select windows vista. There are many windows vista selection (sp1, sp2)
what to do? You just need to test which give you the best result. The
best way to do it is most of the protgram and application has readme
file. In the readme file in will show the list of compatible operating
system t the application. So choose base on the readme file. Belwo is
the example of a eame file of a software driver: