Model: Compaq Presario CQ40 Series (AMD)
Manufacture: HP Hewlett Packard
Compatibility: Windows XP , Widows XP x86, Windows XP x64
Compaq Presario CQ40 (AMD) refer to CQ40 that use AMD processor. Another
CQ40 series uses Intel processor. The different between 2 series is The
Intel model use Intel chipset, Intel matrix storage manager, Nvidia and
Intel graphic. Which AMD model use southbridge chipset and ADM/ATI
graphic. Other drivers such as card reader and webcam are the same. Some
model may requires certain patch or drivers version, but the case is
very rare. One of the case is the HDMI drivers for AMD model.
Identification of either Intel or AMD model for CQ40 series:
1. By looking at the processor type (click start - right click on my computer - properties)
2. By looking at the last 2 digit: CQ40-xxxTU
First Install Netframework: (require for Quick Launch Installation).
Net framework 2.0
AMD SATA AHCI Controller Driver
Version 3.1.1540.64 REV: A 5.24MB
AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver
ATI VGA Driver (ATI Mobility Radeon)
Version:8.672.0.0 A, 106.21M
(strongly recommended to install Microsoft netframework 2.0 and 3.5)
Since there are no best single driver available, you have to follow this step carefully.
1. Install MS-UAA first:
Windows XP, XP SP2: Download (KB888111)
Windows XP SP3: Download (KB835221)
Restart and then install audio drivers below.
2. Install the Audio:
IDT High Definition Audio Codec
(2 drivers, if the first one didn't work, use 2nd drivers)
If resulting in error, ignore it and proceed by manually install the drivers:
Download and install the driver, you will get the error while installing.
Perform the below steps to fix the issue.
1. Click on Start and select Run. Now type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
2. Right click on "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus" and click Update driver.
3. Select "Install from a list or specific location".
4. Click Next. Then select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install".
5. Click Next and then select "Sound, video and game controller" from the list.
6. Click Next and then click Have Disk.
7. Click Browse C:\swsetup\sp39671 folder and select the .inf file and click open and Continue with the onscreen instructions.
(3 drivers, choose 1 base on your specification)
Broadcom 4313 a/b/g/n wireless Drivers
Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers:
(requires windows installer 3.0 installed first)
Version 5.20 4MB
Atheros Wireless LAN Driver:
Version 2.00B 20.64MB
HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology
Version 5.1E 94.68M
High-Definition Audio (HDA) Modem Installer and Driver
Version 1.00 A 12.71MB
Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC
Verison 1.00A 4.8MB
updates available here
JMB38X Card Reader Host Controller
Version 1.00A 3.49MB
Synaptics Touchpad Driver
Version:9.1.11 Q, 16.93M
(Install netframework 2.0 first)
HP Quick-launch Button
Version 6.40B 19MB
Cyberlink youcam software 2.0 + Driver
Version 2.0.2519 46MB
Lightscribe system software
Version 220.127.116.11 A 8.4MB
1. If you have 7 unknown device, download this file, extract, then right lick on the inf file and select install(Machine.inf)
2. If you need HDMI Driver Download
3. Chipset driver can be download directly from AMD and in your graphic driver folder. By default the folder name is SMbus in c:\ati